Looking for inspo for a little girl's bedroom makeover? I'm always on the lookout for ways to add little details to Anika's room and came across Lola's space on Pinterest, instantly falling for its colour and detail.
Avenue Design Studio are the clever creatives behind this little girl's room and have kindly let me share it with you.
Timeless Design & Decor
For me, what makes this girl's bedroom makeover so perfect...
- Classic paint colours which aren't too girly... Holly chose to sand and paint the floorboards white and used Farrow & Ball's 'Light Blue' for the lower part of the walls. This sets the stage for some pops of colour and will work just as well when Lola is a teen (if I painted Anika's room the lurid pink that she wants now, aged six, I'd have to re-do it soon enough!)
- It's functional. The wardrobes, shelves and dressing up box are all reachable for Lola so she can get what she needs, unaided.
- The wall light for the bedside lamp is a great idea as the bedside stool is then fully useable and not cluttered with a lamp base.
Upcycled Vintage Adds Personality
- A lot of the furniture and linen has been bought mindfully and hasn't cost a fortune. We live with so much stuff and it can make me feel a bit sick to think of the wastage and number of things going to landfill. With consumerism, we are so often feeling we should buy more yet the low cost of items from large chain stores forgoes quality and items just fall apart. But if you shop around, buy from makers and creators, head to thrift shops, second-hand stores and eBay, it's amazing what you can find. Some of Holly's finds which I just love:
- A second-hand, vintage bed which she repainted with radiator paint. I've found ones on eBay but if you're short on time you could head to a store like Little French.
- Her bedlinen is also second-hand. Or, buy quality first time round and you'll hand it down to other generations.
- The dress-up box is a vintage find from an antique store.
- The bedside stool is also vintage, as is the wardrobe. I renovate similar ones which can be ordered in my online store. They are just as good for housing toys and books as they are for clothing!
Clever Tweaks to IKEA Furniture
My favourite IKEA STUVA storage system has been used here for the wardrobe, placed upon an IKEA BESTA sideboard customised with leather handles. The handmade bookshelf completes the little reading nook. So clever!
You could also try the STUVA's with the basic desk/drawer set-up and add a small ByAlex Playmat which fits the top to create a comfy reading spot. You can buy them with the filler or choose just the cover which fits the IKEA HEMMAHOS bench pad.
Little Girl's Bedroom Makeover - Before And After!
Who doesn't love a before & after shot to inspire you that anything can be done to transform your kids space!
How good is this?!...